Ham and Tomato – Name a more iconic duo. I dare you!!
It is delicious on crackers, sandwiches, why not in a quiche. Buttery flakey (cheesey) pastry topped with a light and delicate eggy filling. There is a reason Quiche’s are so popular.
Instead of all the cream and cheese in traditional quiches, I like to keep it light! Substitute milk for cream, and cottage cheese for the cheddar. Every tried baked cottage cheese? NO – well then you are seriously missing out!
Ham and Tomato Quiche
Short Crust Pastry
- 1 2/3 cup Plain Flour
- 125 g Butter cold and cubed
- Pinch Salt
- 5-6 Tbsp Chilled water
- 150 g Ham
- 1 Tomato
- 2 spring onions
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- Combine flour, salt and butter in food process and process until it forms a fine crumb. Then add in 1 tbsp of chilled water at a time. Until the dough comes together. Wrap dough in glad wrap and refrigerate for 30mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180Roll out pastry on a floured surface until it is 0.5cm thick. Carefully pick it up using your rolling pin and then lay it in the pie dish. Don't worry if it breaks and you can push it together. Press the pastry into the dish. Prick the base of the pastry with a fork 5-6 times. Top with baking paper and spread baking weights or rice over the base and bake in the oven for 15mins.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling. Roughly chop ham, slice tomato. In a jug, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper until light and fluffy.
- Remove from the oven pastry, discard baking paper and weights. Then spread ham and tomato over pastry base. Pour the egg mixture over the base. Use a tablespoon to spoon cottage cheese over the top. Bake in the oven for 20-30min until golden and set.