Mix it up, Roll it, slice it and then into the oven! Don’t be intimidated by this pinwheels they are super easy to make and loaded with vegetables for a delicious healthy lunch box Snack. I love to freeze the pinwheels before I cook them so you can pull out however many you like and have a freshly baked snack in just 20mins! All you need to do is lay them out on a lined baking tray and freeze for 30min/1hr. Then pop them in a container or zip lock bags and put them back in the freezer!
- 1 brown Onion finely chopped
- 4 rashers Bacon finely chopped
- 1 Zucchini grated
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 red capsicum finely chopped
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup chedder cheese grated
- 3 sheets Puff Pastry frozen
- Heat a large non-stick pan on medium heat. Add in the onion and bacon and fry for 5min until it begins to soften and brown. Then add in the zucchini, carrot and capsicum. Fry for another 2-3min. Set aside and allow to cool for 10min.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180And lay out 3 sheets of puff pastry on the bench to allow them to defrost.
- Stir the egg and cheese through the bacon mixture and then spread a thin layer over each of the puff pastry sheets. Carefully roll each sheet of pastry up tightly. Then use a sharp knife to cut the rolled pastry in to 1cm thick pin wheels. Spread over a baking tray and bake in the oven for 20mins.
- Tip: if the pastry is too soft to cut, put it in the freezer for 20mins before cutting.
- Alternatively, you can freeze the pinwheels prior to cooking. Spread them out of a baking tray and freeze on tray for 1hr. Remove from tray and put them in zip lock bags or a container and return to the freezer. When you are ready to eat them place them frozen into the oven and cook for 25min.
Like this recipe? Why not try some other delicious lunch box additions!